Garden of the LORD

Garden of the LORD

Thursday, August 6, 2015

Warning #3

“Since, you died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules: ‘Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!’ ?  These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings.  Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposes worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.”

                                                               Colossians 2:20-23

Asceticism.  Exploring Colossians through memorization has led me to an area of discovery that I had not anticipated.  This short letter continues to expose my belief system laying it bear before me and challenging me to address its flaws. 

Asceticism is the practice of rigorous self-denial to become more spiritual.  These types of practices were popular during the Middle Ages where they would wear hair shirts next to their skin, sleep on hard beds, whip oneself, go without food or sleep.  The ascetic hopes to sanctify the soul by his discipline of the body.  Gnostics believed that the body was evil and only the Spirit was good.  They believed in the strict separation of the two.   

Colossians is a letter of “ism’s”.  In the last two posts I wrote about warnings.  Paul was warning the Colossian church against the influence of the Gnostics and their philosophy that focused on legalism and mysticism.  Paul now is warning them against asceticism.  Thank you Paul about this warning.  I needed this warning. 

My body is controlled by disease.  About 15 years ago, I started to have various unexplainable pains in various joints in my body.  For five years I searched for relief or even a viable diagnosis.  I wanted to fix the pain so I could continue with my life.  Especially that part of my life I have devoted to serving God.  I did get a diagnosis.  A diagnosis yet no cure.  I would have to live with the pain as well as a host of ramifications that include exhaustion, confusion, irritability, bouts of depression, lots of medication and a straining of relationships (it isn’t easy living with me).  I would have to daily deal with the danger to my heart and lungs as well as blurred vision and digestive irritability. 

My life is continually managed within the realm of this disease.  Each day has its own challenges.  I am never sure what awaits me upon rising.  Will it be a day of vast productivity or one where getting a meal on the table will be the ultimate accomplishment.  I never really know.  The disease is that random.  Unfortunately it controls me.  I don’t control it.  Sorry if that offends your spirituality but it is my reality. 

On some level I have become an ascetic.  I see my body as evil.  It is my enemy.  This is the raw truth.  Remember I promised raw.  When my body disrupts my agenda, it is my enemy.  When it keeps me from serving my family, it is my enemy.  When it keeps me from serving my church, it is my enemy.  When it keeps me from the fun and often normal things that others take for granted, it is my enemy.  I am at war with my body.  I don’t listen to it.  I press on.  I think this is pure spirituality.  This is what the ascetic’s believed.  Harsh treatment of the body equals great spirituality.  Paul is saying this is wrong.  Harsh treatment has no value in restraining the sinful nature.  It only arouses it.

While legalism and mysticism haven’t been all that much a challenge to my spiritual walk, it seems asceticism is.  Even right now my head pounds, my body aches, my eyes are burning as I peer at the screen yet still I am compelled to write.  Is this harsh?  Is this the spirit? I don’t know.  I have been pondering.  I think things are going to need to change.  I sense a pyridine shift. 

David wrote:

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.  My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place.  When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, you eyes saw my unformed body.”
                                                               Psalm 139:13-15

Since this disease I carry is genetic, God knew full well what was in store for me.  Somehow this struggle that I deal with daily was not a surprise to Him.  It was for me.  I guess that perhaps I should embrace it.  If He hasn’t taken it from me than maybe I should see my body as fearfully and wonderfully made rather than my enemy.  I need to see my body not as an obstacle but as a vehicle that might propel me into a richer spiritual life that I might not have enjoyed otherwise.  I guess I need to trust that if God is ok with my body than I should be too. 

I need to be kinder to me.  Not so harsh.  Scripture tells us that our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit.  I need to treat my body better since it houses such beauty and purity.  It reflects the glory of God from the inside out.  In Old Testament scripture we see the Jewish people either neglected the temple or put too much emphasis on the temple.  Both of those options left God out of the equation.  I need to learn to love my body with God in the equation.  I can’t neglect it or indulge it.  I need to do what is best for it.  I need to seek God for balance on this. 

I don’t know what that means.  I am submitting myself to God.  I am trusting that He will help me work this out.  My spirituality doesn’t rest on outward strength but on inward beauty.  That I understand. How being kinder to my body plays out will be a day to day learning process. 

Some things are going to have to go.  It might be this blog.  Writing is hard work.  The pace that I have set for myself is grueling.  That might need to change.  If I really want to see transformation in my spiritual life, I need to agree with God about what He is telling us.  For me, it is “take it easy”.  He understands.  He burden is easy and light.  I make it hard.  It doesn’t need to be hard to be spiritual.  What makes me spiritual is the Holy Spirit residing in this earthly temple not the temple.  Cultivating the spirit is what brings true spirituality not working myself to death. 

I have no clue what that will look like dear reader.  I will continue to memorize Colossians because that is my spiritual discipline but perhaps the writing thing will have to be less frequent or not at all.  We will see.  The wonderful thing about the Lord is when we hand our gifts over to Him, He guides us into better things.  They could be the same things with great authority or power or they could be new things.  I love Him so.  He is that good. And I trust Him. 

Shalom.

“So here’s what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life – your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life – and place it before God as an offering.  Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him.”

                                                                        Romans 12:1 (MESSAGE)

No comments:

Post a Comment