Garden of the LORD

Garden of the LORD

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Wrecked

I am wrecked.  Sounds almost cliché these days.  “Lord wreck my life for You.”  Lots of Christians are saying it, praying it and writing about it.  This is when you come to the “is this all there is?” moment in your spiritual journey.  You know something is missing, but for the life of you, you can’t figure it out. 

About a year ago I decided to lock arms with the praying “God wreck my life” crowd.  I loved what God was doing in their lives as a result and I wanted it as well.  I surely felt I had nothing to lose anyway.  What could He wreck?  I was serving the Lord leading a women’s Bible study, teaching, writing, facebooking, blogging…what could possibly go wrong?  Ahem!

One thing I learned about the “Lord wreck my life for You” prayer, is that if you have the guts to pray it … He will answer.  He is faithful like that.  He will do whatever it takes for you to find that something missing thing.  Which is usually Him. 

Hear me when I say that you can be neck deep in ministry yet only have a smidgeon of Him in it.  Yes, this I know.  It’s not to say I wasn’t doing good things, God things, fruitful things but I unexpectedly and unknowingly changed the trajectory of my own personal spiritual life.  My aim was no longer at growing deeper in the grace of the gospel but making sure all my boxes were ticked and everything pertaining to ministry was rocking.  It was.  The ministry had tripled in size and we were a Bible studying, scripture memorizing, hands held high worshiping group of God loving sisters.  It was a ministry leaders dream come true.  But I was empty and worn out.  That was when I asked God to wreck my life. 

One year later, I am no longer in that role nor that church.  God called me out to what I am not sure.  As Abraham left his country in response to God’s call “even though he didn’t know where he was going”, so did I.  At least I am in good company as scary and un-certain as it seems.  While I have no earthly clue where I am going, I do know I am going with Him.  Since I don’t know where I am headed, I confess that I am not exactly sure what I am supposed to do either.  I am used to being identified by what I do.  Now that I am no longer women’s ministry leader/teacher than who am I?

Since I prayed that “God wreck my life prayer” one year ago, God has systematically pulled out every single thing that I held onto for security and identity. I came to realize at a deeper level that my identity had been wrapped up in what I did rather then Whose I was.  You aren’t aware of the level that you associate your identity with someone or something until that someone or something is taken away. 

It wasn’t just the spiritual side of my life that was wrecked.  Any label that I had placed my identity in got wrecked.  Facing full-blown empty nesting wrecked me.  Losing friendships wrecked me. Facing the loss of aging family members to Alzheimer’s and death wrecked me.  Dealing with chronic illness wrecked me.  Challenging family dynamics wrecked me. 

Yet all of it led to this one predominant point.  All the things that I held onto for security and identity apart from God could be wrecked.  The only security and identity that is unshakeable is that which I have in Christ.  He is everything I need.  He is my sufficiency.  I am complete in Him.  It is the only thing that remains.  As long as I place my identity and security in anything other then who I am in Christ, I run the risk of a life that can get wrecked.  I want to live “wreck-less”. 

Read this quote by Bryan Chapel from his most excellent book Holiness by Grace. (p167)

“The discipline of affliction also hardens us, in that it relaxes our grasp on this world….We walk through life as our Savior did – as pilgrims with eyes and energies focused on future glory – because we have been stripped of the delusion that this world can offer any satisfaction that is not always in jeopardy.” (emphasis mine)

You see if I could truly grasp what it means to live “wreck-less” then I would be able to live reckless for Christ.  I have to let go of those things that I am in jeopardy of losing.  If all of what I need, I already have in Him and I firmly establish this as the foundation of my belief system then I could love recklessly, give recklessly, serve others recklessly and live in His name recklessly.  In order to do that, I have to set out to learn how to live “wreck-less”.  I have to learn to live in such a way that all of my identity and security is found in Him and not in a position, a person, a bank account, a healthy body, or whatever I place my hope in. 

So how do I learn to live  “wreck-less”?  I have a plan.  Tune in to find out what that is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment