Garden of the LORD

Garden of the LORD

Saturday, July 18, 2015

A Word About Warnings

“Therefore, do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.  These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.”
                                                               Colossians 2:16-17

Warnings.  I am so inconsistent when it comes to warnings.  Sometimes I am all over them and sometimes I choose to ignore them. I think you might too. 



For instance, if you have ever used a Q-tip, than you are an ignorer of warnings.  The packaging clearly states that the Q-tip is not to be inserted into the ear canal.  As far as I am able to understand, what I know to be the ear is actually the ear canal.  Quilty.  Even though I am warned, I still do it.

Also, there is the “don’t eat raw chocolate chip cookie dough” warning.  I understand the raw egg part but seriously have you ever eaten raw chocolate chip cookie dough.  Definitely a warning ignored.

Then there are the times when I swing completely to the opposite extreme.  I can absolutely obsess over a warning.  Take handling raw eggs.  Every time I handle raw eggs I obsessively wash my hands.  Apparently, according to the world of “me”, you can eat them in raw chocolate chip cookie dough but you just can't touch them.  I know, I am an enigma. 

Or take flashing red signals at a railroad crossing. I always stop.  Always.  Like I said, I can be obsessive that way. 

Paul is about to warn the Colossians in verses 16-23 of chapter two of various dangers that they might come up against as they rest in the finished work of Christ.  The first has to do with judging.  Paul warns the Colossians not to allow any ones judgment of whether or not they do certain “religious things” to impact what they already know about their relationship with Christ.  

If you been in church for a while you might have heard of the term legalism.  Legalism simply put is believing that if you do everything right than you will be accepted.  If you follow all the rules you will have the acceptance and approval of what ever you are craving.  Secular legalism says if I do all these things than the world will accept me.  Religious legalism says if I do all these things than God will accept me. 

Legalism puts all the burden on us.  All the approval, security, purpose, acceptance, that we crave is achieved by our own doing.  Legalism is actually very attractive to us because it gives us the illusion that we are in control.  If we work hard enough we can generate the things our soul really longs for.  All the acceptance, love, grace, approval, security etc. is in the power of our own doing.

This is what Paul is warning the Colossians about.  All that they desire most, all that they work the hardest to achieve in life, the things that bring them true meaning, Christ has already secured for them.  They don’t need to observe the law to obtain those things.  They already have them. 

So then what is the purpose of the law?  The purpose of the law is two fold. 

         1)   The law reveals sin and points us to our need for a Savior

I am often tempted by the draw to legalism.  My biggest problem with legalism is not with church folk talking me out of my freedom in Christ.  It is more in regard to the perception of the unbelieving world and how they think Christians are supposed to behave.  Since they view the Bible as a book that manages morality rather than the instrument that points us to our need for a savior, I sometimes fall into the trap of wanting to be what they think I should be.  I want so desperately for them to love God and His word that I misrepresent Him.

Representing Christianity as a religion that follows the rules is misrepresenting Christianity.  That isn’t what drew me to Christ and it won’t be what draws others.  True Christianity is realizing that I can’t keep the law so I need a Savior.

         2) The law reveals the consequences of sin

I keep the law because I love it and know without a shadow of a doubt that it is wisdom, even when I don’t understand it.  When I walk outside of the safety that the law brings there are consequences.  But even with those consequences there is mercy and grace. 

I follow the law because it has been given as a gift from my Creator granting me instruction in how to do life righteously.  A righteous life is a blessed life.  If I stray outside the law there isn’t a heavenly sledge hammer aimed at my disobedience but a loving Father encouraging me back to obedience.  The kind of obedience that is characterized by love and trust and not grudging submission.

The watching world is judging us folks.  Yes they are.  We are constantly under a magnifying glass of scrutiny whether we like it or not.  The world is critiquing us on how well we are doing.  When we slip up they cheer, feel vindicated or are discouraged.  I think deep down they really want our faith to be real.  But our faith is not based on what we do but on what has been done for us.  Let’s make sure we represent our faith well. 

Christianity is a faith that is rooted in a God that comes down to us and rescues us.  It is not based on our ability to come up to Him.  He didn’t save us because we had it all wired and we were white as snow.  He did it because He saw our need and fulfilled it.  Bottom line we are all broken people living in a broken world with other broken people.  Our salvation and faith rests in what God has done for us.  Our only response is to receive His mercy and grace and rest in the finished work of Christ.  And than, to make sure people know about it. 

Evangelism is just one beggar showing another beggar where to find bread”
                                                     

                                                               D.T. Niles

No comments:

Post a Comment