Garden of the LORD

Garden of the LORD

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Back It Up Paul

“This is the gospel that you heard and that has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven, and of which I, Paul, have become a servant.”
                                                              
                                                                        Colossians 1:23b

Beep! Beep! Beep!  Back it up Paul! 

“Has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven”? 

Really?  First century Christianity was able to do what we, in the 21st century, have yet to accomplish?  According to the Joshua Project, there are, right now, over 6500 unique people groups in the world that are considered unreached.  With all the advances in technology via the World Wide Web and increased accessibility through various different modes of transportation, according to Paul, believers in the first century were able to proclaim the gospel to every creature under heaven yet we haven’t.  Really?



Let me make something crystal clear before I go a word further.  I adore Paul.  I find him extraordinarily loveable and commendable.  I breathe in every word that he has written and my soul can’t help but be refreshed and restored.  I love how he stands firmly for truth yet is filled with compassion for the lost.  He speaks boldly yet prays fervently.  He takes great risks yet still encourages those that are weak.  He has suffered much yet never detoured from his calling.  He is extravagant with his words yet firmly grounded in his faith.  He is an enigma and person who I look forward to meeting the other side of heaven. I adore Paul. This verse is one of the reasons why. 

Of course commentators have varying interpretations of what Paul is intimating here.  What do you think?  Before you read on take a moment to really ponder this verse.  What do you think it means?

“Has been proclaimed to every creature under heaven”? 

There are three perspectives and I will briefly give you all three.  Then I will tell you where I stand and why.  No ambiguity like with Tulip Gazing.  I have a clear stand on this one and I am glad about it. 

Hyperbole – Two of my commentaries stressed that Paul didn’t mean this literally.  That he was most likely exaggerating. 

Now and Then – This is my wording not anyone’s in particular.  This means that God has sent the proclamation one time in principle to every creature under heaven and as individuals accept Christ as the conduit of that good news, they will be saved.  Norman T. Wright in his commentary on Colossians puts it this way “From whales to waterfalls, the whole created order has in principle been reconciled to God.  Like a sovereign making a proclamation and sending off his heralds to bear it to the distant corners of his empire, God has in Jesus Christ proclaimed once and for all that the world which he made has been reconciled to him.  His heralds, scurrying off to the ends of the earth with the news, are simply agents, messengers, of this one antecedent authoritative proclamation.”[i]

Prophetic – This is similar to “now and then” yet different.  Expositor’s Bible Commentary puts it like this “historical future as a theological past”.[ii] Or the history of our future was based in a theological past.  We usually describe it more succinctly as prophecy.  Paul had every confidence of what would be and wrote a word of prophecy of what was to come.  In his mind, it was a reality and finished. 

My stand.  I can’t go with the first choice of hyperbole.  We just got through a whole passage where Paul used the word “all” at least 7 times.  He made some exceedingly exaggerated claims.  Either I take Paul at his word for all of it or none of it.  I like to be consistent.  If I don’t go with Paul regarding the proclamation verse, then I can’t go with him when he says that Jesus is sovereign over all things and holds all things together.  Um I don’t think so. 

My scholarly mind likes the “now and then” take.  I like the idea of a King making a proclamation and sending out his heralds to declare it to all who will listen.  It fits well with the great commission and it keeps things tidy.

Yet my love for Paul and his extraordinary perspective of faith lends me to the prophetic.  Why?  I think a commenter from the last post said it best, “it is all about the sovereignty of God”.  I have been asking myself “How sovereign is my God?”  I realized there is a direct relation between my view of God’s sovereignty and His bigness and the level of spiritual strength I embrace.   The more I magnify God’s power, the more hope I have.  If I lean toward Him being in control rather than myself, my hope swells.  If I think it is up to me, or man in general than (Lord help us) I lose all hope.  I like what God ordains He fulfills.  I love his bigness.  There is great comfort in that.

I think Paul meant what he said.  No hyperbole just our “historical future as a theological past”. ;-)  That is why I love Paul.  He understood the sovereignty of God and allowed that understanding to influence his perspective.   He thought big. I want to think big too. 

What do you think Paul meant?




[i] N.T. Wright, Colossians and Philemon, Tyndale New Testament Commentaries, 89-90

[ii] Tremper Longman III & David E. Garland, The Expositor’s Bible Commentary- Ephesians – Philemon, Zondervan, 298 

No comments:

Post a Comment