Garden of the LORD

Garden of the LORD

Sunday, December 14, 2014

The Procedure

I hate doing things wrong.  I like to be right.  All. The. Time.  My desire to achieve absolute perfection is extreme.  So extreme that when I realize I did something wrong, I spend more time then anyone should chastising themselves.  I am dumb like that.  I know I need to give myself a break.  What can I say?  I am a work in progress. 

I recently downloaded a free book from Amazon titled “Why You Really Can Memorize Scripture” by Dr. Daniel Morris.  After reading it, I realized I was doing this memorization thing all-wrong.  I discovered that there was a very real reason for my memory issues.

In his book, Mr. Morris described how most of us try to memorize from our short term rather than the long-term memory part of our brain.  I confess while he gave a fairly simplistic explanation of the process, I still struggle with reiterating it here for you.  It’s a science thing.  Science guy would probably be able to explain it better.  I will do my best.

The difference between short-term memory and long-term memory is this.  Short-term memory is when you give some level of attention to an experience.  For example, I have to get milk today.  This type of memory is short and dependent on attention and importance.  Whether I remember getting the milk is dependent on how much I really need that milk. 

Now suppose you were going out for milk and you learned that you just won a million dollars, it is quite probable when you recall this event the “going out to get milk” would be connected to it.  Every single time you tell the story of how you won a million dollars no doubt the milk thing would be part of the retelling.  This is an example of the difference between short term and long-term memory. 

Long-term memory is complicated.  There are several classes but for our purposes, I will talk about just two.  First, there is the process memory and this is the most permanent.  That is the kind of memory that is involved with riding a bike, driving a car or swimming.  It relates to the kind of thing that you learn and never forget.  Then there is declarative memory.  This is like the hard drive of the brain.  If the data is important, of interest, or bizarre, this is where the brain will store it. 

Declarative memory is what I am most interested in for memorization.  I want to learn how to file my scriptures in this part of the brain.  To do that, I am going to need to engage in the material by focusing on its importance.  I might want to ask the question, “What does this scripture mean to me?”  Things are always more important when they are about me.  (Ahem!)  Next I will need to make the process interesting.  For example, really understanding what the scripture means through further study with commentaries and books. Lastly, I am going to need to have the experience to be set apart as bizarre.  Kind of sounds like memorizing a book of the Bible and blogging about it for the world to see.  That, to most people, would be categorized as bizarre.  Don’t you think?

The particulars.  I will be basically using the MAP approach to memorization and meditation.  Mostly because it is just plain easy.  I have no idea where I found this but it is basically the most simple and useful form of structure I have found relating to memorization. 

First, find a portion of Scripture to memorize.  Then:

M – Memorize the passage.  I will be taking ten minutes of uninterrupted time each day to working on my passage.  I will focus on only one verse at a time.  The key is to memorize the verse word for word and not to do anything else while working on the verse.  One hundred percent attention for ten minutes.  Then each day after I finish working on this one verse, I will renew my mind with all I had memorized prior to that verse.   

A – Analyze the passage. 
        
1)   Intensive Focus: study each word in the passage and make sure you understand it’s meaning.  While I love to use the Greek and Hebrew dictionary when studying, it would probably be best if I start with the Webster’s English first then move on to other languages.
2)   Extensive Focus: study the context and purpose of the passage.  My number one rule for study is always “Context is King!” Learned that somewhere along the way and it has never failed me yet to bring depth and energy to what is sometimes a difficult and irrelevant scripture. 

P – Personalize the passage.  There are several ways to do this.  This is where you will really engage in the passage.  This is where the acrostic   “specs” will be helpful.
        
         S – Is there a situation to avoid.
         P – Is there a promise to claim.
         E – Is there an example to follow.
         C – Is there a commandment to keep.
         S – Is there a scripture I can pray.

The more ways I physically apply my scripture the more it will file itself in my long-term memory.  Remember, this is where I want it all to end up.  That is where it is going to change the way I think and change what I believe.  It all starts there. 

I gave you and me a lot to think about today.  But no worries if you didn’t get it all.  My plan is to share memorizing techniques as I go along.  When I struggle and stumble you will know it.  I will share whatever means I needed to memorize a verse.  We are talking full disclosure folks. 

One last point and it is a big one.  God gave us a memory.  He has given us our brain.  He created it.  He has given us what we need to memorize.  We just need to learn how to do it right.  Not only that but He has set His Holy Spirit inside of us to help (John 14:26).  God created us to remember things and then He commanded us to do it.  God never asks us to do something that He hasn’t given us the ability to do. 

You can do this!  I can do this! 

What’s next?  All my resource material.  Blessings!


“But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.”    
                                                        John 14:26 (emphasis mine)


1 comment:

  1. This is really good. I know I am living a little behind the times but I think I need to print out these posts and put them in a binder. That way I can highlight & jot down notes. An antiquated idea, I know, but I think it will help me process what I'm learning. The digital information age has its limitations.

    ReplyDelete